Visitor Visas

Visiting the U.S. for Business or Pleasure

If you would like to visit the U.S. for business reasons such as, consulting with business associates, attending a convention or conference, negotiating contracts, or settling an estate, you will need a temporary business visa (category B-1).

To visit the U.S. for pleasure, tourism, or visiting family and friends, you will need a tourist visa (category B-2). Visas for travel to the U.S. for a combination of both work and pleasure purposes are also available (category B-1/B-2). When you travel to the U.S. on a B-1 or B-2 Visa, you are not permitted to accept employment or work in the United States.

What you need to apply

You will need the following items when applying for a visitor visa.

  • A passport that is valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application (form DS-160)
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.

Note: You will need to upload a passport style photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo to your interview.

You should bring the following to your interview to help prove your eligibility:

Evidence of your current employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip.

There is no guarantee that your visa application will be approved so do not make specific travel plans, such as purchasing plane tickets, until after your visa is approved.

Your visitor visa is valid until its expiration date, so a valid visitor visa in an expired passport is still valid. Do not remove your visa. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.