What to Include in your Letter of Invitation
If a family member is applying for a B-2 Visitor Visa to visit the U.S., you will need to write a letter of invitation. This should be personal, not a formal letter that a lawyer would write, so we ask clients to prepare this letter themselves. Below are guidelines you can use for writing the letter:
- Address the letter to your family member(s) and include their full name and full address;
- Include information about what you will do during the visit, such as, the people and places you will visit;
- Mention how long the visitor will be staying with you or where you’ve made arrangements for them to stay;
- Discuss whether you will be covering the person’s transportation to and from the United States, and how much of the person’s expenses in the U.S., if any, you plan to cover;
- Sign the letter with your full name and date;
- Mail this letter to your family member for them to take to their visa interview.
Be as specific and detailed as possible.